Boss / AI Designer (Retro Studios)|
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Qualifications & Requirements
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Design, own, and champion Boss and AI encounters
in a highly iterative environment.
- Plan out thoughtful and intentional player
experiences at both macro and micro levels.
- Use proprietary toolset to design and implement
logic for Boss and AI encounters.
- Drive small strike teams to achieve goals and
- Provide constructive feedback on features,
environments, and processes.
- Evaluate and implement design feedback from all
- Write and illustrate clear design documentation.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure
content meets established goals and parameters.
- Help set, prioritize, and communicate goals for
the development team.
- Provide mentorship to other designers and team
- Foster a highly positive team culture by
building consensus and using collaborative approaches to conflict resolution.
*This job description outlines primary duties
and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be
performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other
duties. The company may modify job
duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
experience with Boss and AI design required.
- A minimum of 5
years of experience in game design, including senior or lead design experience
on a shipped 3D action adventure title.
knowledge of Boss and AI mechanics design.
- A working
knowledge of standard industry game engines, design toolsets and production
- Willingness to be open and flexible
when collaborating with others to achieve a design.
- Rigorous and
iterative design and ideation methodology.
composition and narrative skills.
organizational, communication and influencing skills.
- A passion for
Nintendo and Retro titles preferred.
- Skill with Illustrator, Photoshop and Maya
- Examples of prior work must be available upon
We are an equal
opportunity employer valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.